Claiming Veteran Preference

If you are claiming veterans' preference for the first time please mail a copy of:

  • Discharge or documentation in form of a letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to verify service-connected disability
  • Copy of a marriage license to verify relationship as a spouse to a service member
  • A letter or notice from the Federal Government showing that their spouse died while serving in the armed forces
  • Other relevant documentation that would help qualify an individual for veterans' preference in accordance with the eligibility criteria set forth in K.S.A. 73-201.

Send discharge or documentation to:

Kansas Department of Administration,
Division of Personnel Services,  900 SW Jackson, Room 401-N
  Landon State Office Building
Topeka, Kansas 66612 or
Fax to (785) 291-3715

More information on Veterans' Preference..