Kansas Department of Administration

11-P-018 Employee Taxability of State-Owned or Leased Vehicles (Supersedes 10-P-013)

DATE: December 6, 2010

Employee Taxability of State-Owned or Leased Vehicles

EFFECTIVE DATE: January 1, 2011

Cindy Lo

(785) 296-2259


APPROVAL: Image of approval signature.

IRS Changes Cents-Per-Mile Valuation Rule for Calendar Year 2011


The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has increased the standard mileage rate from 50 cents to 51 cents beginning January 1, 2011 under the Cents-Per-Mile method of valuing an employee’s personal (commuting) use of a state-owned or leased vehicle.  The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile.  The Cents-Per-Mile valuation is one of several methodologies that can be used to calculate fringe benefit income.  See Informational Circular No. 05-P-023*.  Using this methodology, fringe benefit income is calculated by multiplying the 51 cents rate by the number of personal (commuting) miles driven by the employee in the state-owned or leased vehicle.  To be eligible to use the Cents-Per-Mile method, at least 50% of the vehicle’s total mileage is used for the employer’s trade or business, or the vehicle is primarily used by employees and the total mileage for the vehicle exceeds 10,000 miles per year.  The Cents-Per-Mile method may not be used for ‘luxury’ vehicles.  If a vehicle is first made available to an employee for personal (commuting) use in calendar year 2011 and the agency wishes to use the Cents-Per-Mile method, the fair market value of the vehicle cannot exceed $15,300 for a car (unchanged from 2010), and $16,200 for a passenger truck or van (up from $16,000 in 2010).  Agencies and employees are also reminded that the only personal use of a state-owned or leased vehicle allowed under state law is to commute between the employee’s work station and home, and then in only limited situations.

Please note that this Informational Circular does not impact the State’s privately owned vehicle mileage reimbursement rate. 

*Informational Circular No. 05-P-023 contains an incorrect K.A.R. reference number in the next to the last paragraph of the POLICY section.  The reference should be:  Kansas Administrative Regulation 1-17-2a(b)(1).



« Back

© 2023 Kansas Department of Administration. All rights reserved.