10-P-026 Implementation of 100% Direct Deposit for State of Kansas Payroll
|DATE:||May 21, 2010|
Implementation of 100% Direct Deposit for State of Kansas Payroll
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||October 1, 2010; Transition period May 28, 2010 – Sept. 24, 2010|
Transition Timeline for Implementation of 100% Direct Deposit of Payroll for State of Kansas Employees
On May 21, 2010, the Department of Administration announced the implementation of a policy of 100% direct deposit for employee payroll and travel and expense reimbursements effective with all payments made on or after October 1, 2010. For payroll purposes, employees who currently receive a paper paycheck will be transitioned to either traditional direct deposit or a Skylight paycard during the period of May 28, 2010 – Sept. 24, 2010.
Employees who have an existing checking or savings account are encouraged to sign up for direct deposit at their earliest convenience by completing a form DA-184, “Authorization For Direct Deposit of Employee Pay,” and submitting it to their agency Human Resource/Payroll office. The form is available on the Accounts and Reports website under Payroll Forms. The form provides employees with the ability to distribute payroll net pay to a maximum of nine different bank accounts.
The Department of Administration has renewed its partnership with Skylight Financial, Inc. (associated with U.S. Bank) to provide a Skylight paycard to employees who do not elect to have their payroll directly deposited to a checking or savings account. The Skylight paycard is an FDIC insured ATM/debit-based bank account where pay and other deposits, such as travel and expense reimbursements, can be made. Agency Human Resource/Payroll offices that currently have Skylight Instant Issue Packs that were provided under the previous Skylight contract should destroy the existing packets immediately, as updated inventory will reflect terms of the new contract. The new paycard contract provides increased benefits, convenience, and flexibility to employees.
Detailed information regarding the new paycard contract and the transition to 100% direct deposit will be issued over the next several weeks. The high-level transition plan detailed below will allow your agency and employees to begin preparations for this transition.
- Additional informational circulars will be issued detailing the new paycard contract, training dates, and details for implementation of 100% direct deposit for payroll and travel and expense reimbursement.
- Presentation of the paycard program, its benefits, and the schedule for implementation will be provided at the Human Resource Conference on Tuesday, June 8th.
- Skylight Marketing Materials will be released and Paycard registration packets will be shipped to agency Human Resource/Payroll offices.
- Accounts and Reports Payroll Services will work in conjunction with agency Human Resource/Payroll staff to provide notification of new policy and transition timeframe to employees currently receiving paper paychecks.
- Employees with existing checking/savings accounts will need to request Direct Deposit via completion of the DA-184 form.
- SHaRP Direct Deposit data will be converted to SMART for Travel and Expense Reimbursements on June 18, 2010.
- Paycard enrollment training for agency Human Resource/Payroll personnel will be provided.
Late June – Sept. 24, 2010
- Agency Human Resource/Payroll staff will work with employees to establish Direct Deposit of net pay either via DA-184 authorization form or enrollment in the payroll paycard.
- Accounts and Reports, Payroll Services will continue working in conjunction with agency Human Resource/Payroll staff to provide employee education and assistance to complete successful transition to 100% direct deposit on Sept. 24, 2010.