Paycheck Reprint Procedures for Regent Agencies
Posted on 10/21/2021 at 12:49 PM by Kansas Department of Administration
The Regents paycheck reprint process is used to replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed paycheck. The following outlines the process and procedure to be followed by Regents' agencies to receive a reprinted paycheck.
- Verify that the paycheck has not been redeemed and place a stop payment on the paycheck using the DA-6P, found on the Forms page, before submitting a paycheck reprint file.
- Submit a paycheck reprint file.
- Reprint requests must be submitted on a separate file from all other payroll activity.
- A distinct naming convention must be used for the file name. The first four digits of the file name must be 'KRPT'; all other existing file naming conventions remain unchanged.
- The ADJ_TYPE field on the Employee Header Record (RCD_TYPE '010') must be 'REPRNT'.
- The PAYMENT_METHOD field on the Employee Header Record must be 'R' (reprint).
- The PAYCHECK_NBR field on the Employee Header Record must be the original paycheck number of the paycheck to be reprinted.
- All other information for each REC_TYPE should be the same as the information originally submitted for the paycheck being reprinted.
- No RCD_TYPE '075' (Employee Direct Deposit records) should be included on the reprint file.
- Paycheck reprint files will be processed on the same schedule as off-cycle payrolls (ie., generally, every Monday and every other Wednesday night). The reprint paychecks will have the same issue date as the off-cycle paychecks for that same cycle.
- Reprinted paychecks will be mailed to the address contained on the Employee Header Record.
- Edits in the KREGPAY1 process verify:
- if the ADJ_TYPE = 'REPRNT', the file name must begin with 'KRPT',
- if the file name begins with 'KADJ' or 'KREG', the ADJ_TYPE cannot = 'REPRNT',
- if the ADJ_TYPE = 'REPRNT', no '075' record types are included on the file.
In addition to the KRPTPAY1 payroll interface file, SMART requires a net zero journal entry to indicate the reprint transaction that generates an update on the INF48 Paycheck Interface with the reprinted check number.
Generate the associated SMART zero net transaction in one of the following ways:
- Submit an INF06 interface entry directly to SMART effective with the date corresponding to the off –cycle in which the reprint will be processed. Balancing is not required so the INF06 file can be submitted directly to SMART as a non-payroll INF06 file.
- Submit a spreadsheet journal upload to SMART effective with the date corresponding to the off-cycle in which the reprint will be processed.
- Regent agency is responsible for confirming that the appropriate SMART zero-net transaction was submitted to correspond with the paycheck reprint
3. Verify the replacement paycheck number.
- Once the paycheck reprint file has been successfully processed, a KREGPAY2 report will be created which contains the replacement paycheck number. In addition, a 'CHECK_NUM' file will be created and placed in the agency's MVS mailbox; the 'CHECK_NUM' file includes the replacement check number (and replacement issue date) along with the original check number. The reprinted paycheck number and check issue date should be entered on the DA-6P.
- The Paycheck Stop Payment Request form should be maintained by the agency for the current fiscal year and then destroyed in accordance with the General Retention and Disposition Schedule of the Kansas State Records Management Manual.
No edits can be added to prevent an agency from processing a paycheck reprint prior to receiving validation from the State Treasurer's Office that the stop payment has been placed on the paycheck. It is the agency's responsibility to ensure that the stop payment procedures have been correctly followed prior to submitting the paycheck reprint file. Failure to correctly follow procedures could result in the issuance of an unfunded paycheck.