How does Veterans’ Preference work?
Posted on 10/21/2021 at 12:50 PM by Kansas Department of Administration
Each veteran who meets the requirements for a vacant position shall be offered an interview for that vacancy when all of the following conditions are met:
- The vacancy is a regular classified position that states in its job notice that the position is "Veterans’ Preference" Eligible (VPE). This includes all external, internal or agency only vacancies.
- No individuals who are eligible for the Kansas Employee Preference Program have applied for that vacancy.
- The military service member was not dismissed or did not resign in good standing from state service.
- The military service member’s active duty is not for the Reserves or National Guard training.
- The military service member is separated and not on active service at the time of application.