Kansas Department of Administration

Direct Deposit Questions and Answers

Posted on October 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM by Kansas Department of Administration

Q. What is direct deposit?

A. Direct Deposit is also known as Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). It is the transfer of funds from the State of Kansas account to an individual employee's checking or savings accounts at a participating bank, savings and loan association or credit union. The term bank is used generically in this document to describe any bank, savings association or credit union.

Q. Must I participate in direct deposit

A. Effective Oct. 1, 2010 all active State of Kansas employees are required to use electronic payment to receive payroll and travel and expense payments. Employees can be paid using traditional direct deposit to a checking or savings account or a payroll paycard.  More information regarding payroll paycards can be found on the Paycard page.  

Q. Are there any costs to my participating in direct deposit? 

A. No.

Q. Must I use a particular bank?

 A. No. You may have your pay deposited to any U.S. Bank which is a member of the Automated Clearing House (ACH) network.

Q. Is it possible to have part of my check put into my savings account and the balance in my checking account? 

A. Yes, you may choose up to a maximum of ten direct deposit accounts for payroll. These may be at multiple banks and/or multiple accounts within a bank and can include payments to a payroll paycard. You may indicate a dollar amount or a percent of net pay for each account. For travel expenses, one account may be selected.

Q. How do I sign up for direct deposit?

A. Your Agency Personnel Officer can help you complete Form DA-184, “Authorization for Direct Deposit of Employee Pay and/or Employee Travel.”  This form can be found on the Forms Page

A voided check should be attached to the DA-184 for a checking account and a deposit slip should be attached for a savings account.  The banking information will be entered into the computer system by your Agency’s Personnel Office.

Q. The DA-184 authorization asks for a transit number and my account number.  How do I find that information? 

A. Bank transit numbers and account numbers are printed at the bottom of checks and deposit slips. A check may be used for the source of a checking account or a deposit slip for a savings account. Bank transit numbers are always nine digits and are generally found in the bottom left-hand corner. Please note that for direct deposit purposes, the transit number will not begin with ‘5’.  The number of digits in account numbers will vary up to a maximum of 17. Be careful not to include a check number which may also appear at the bottom of your check as part of the account number.

Accuracy of bank transit numbers, account numbers, and account type is critical for successful direct deposit. If there are any questions, the information should be verified with your bank. Do not guess.

Q.  How do I know my pay has been deposited and how much was deposited? 

A. SHARP agency employees may view their paycheck data through the Employee Self Service Center web site, located at


The net pay distribution on the View Paycheck screen will list the account number and amount of the deposit. Paychecks may be viewed on the Monday before a Friday pay date for regular on-cycle paychecks. Paycheck data for adjustments or supplementals processed in an off-cycle payroll run will be available the day after the off-cycle was completed.

Because not all information is available in SHARP for Regents, employees at Board of Regents Institutions have their own self-service applications or printed payroll advices. Regent employees should check with their University Payroll Office for additional information.

Q. What is the earliest date I can make cash withdrawal on the amount of the direct deposit? 

A. The same day as the direct deposit is made to your bank. Regular pay dates are every other Friday or the closest preceding work day if Friday is a holiday.  

Q.  What if my bank did not receive my direct deposit?

A. This is unlikely; however, if it should occur,

1. Contact the Automated Clearing House Department at your bank.  They should be able to see if a deposit was attempted, but erred out for some reason and tell you how to correct any incorrect information.  They can also tell you if the money will be manually posted to the account or if they are rejecting the money back to the State of Kansas.

  • If the money is rejected, once the money is received at the State of Kansas, a check will be issued to you and mailed to your mailing or home address that is in SHaRP.

2. Contact your Agency Personnel Officer. They will initiate the appropriate action to correct the situation.

Q. What if I decide to change banks or make changes to my direct deposit accounts?

A. Simply contact your Agency Personnel Officer to complete a new authorization form. Be sure to allow sufficient time for direct deposit information to be entered by Agency Personnel.  For a Friday pay date, cutoff is generally the previous Friday. Payroll cutoff dates will vary for holiday schedules and for Regent employees.

If you are closing your bank account, it is important to notify your Agency Personnel Officer first.

Q. Who should I contact if I have questions? 

A. You may contact your Agency Personnel Officer. If he or she cannot answer your questions, they will contact the Department of Administration, Payroll Services.


There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field

© 2023 Kansas Department of Administration. All rights reserved.