Kansas Department of Administration

4304 Subsistence Expense Reimbursement when using a Privately Owned Conveyance for Out-of-state Travel Instead of Public Transportation.

Posted on October 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM by Kansas Department of Administration

When an agency head or designee authorizes the use of a privately owned or operated conveyance rather than public transportation for out-of-state travel, subsistence expense is limited to the following:

1. Travel of one employee only. Meal allowance is paid only for the travel time that would have been necessary had the employee used the fastest public transportation available. Lodging expense reimbursement is limited to the lodging expense incurred at the point of official state business. Lodging expenses incurred en route are not reimbursable.

2. Travel of two or more employees. When two or more employees are traveling together in a privately owned conveyance, meal and lodging expenses are reimbursable for the number of days it would take by car via the usually traveled route to the destination.

Reimbursement at high-cost meal allowance and lodging rates is not allowed when travel to a high-cost area is only an intermediate stopover at which no official state business occurs.

Upon written, prior approval of the agency head, exceptions to this paragraph may be granted in unusual circumstances when deemed to be in the best interests of the state. A copy of the approval should be submitted with the travel expense report. For transportation expense reimbursement when using a privately owned or operated conveyance instead of public transportation see paragraph 3103.

(Reference: K.A.R. 1-16-8)

There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field

© 2023 Kansas Department of Administration. All rights reserved.