02-a-016 - Closing of Fiscal Year 2002 and Opening of Fiscal Year 2003 (April 18, 2002) (Supersedes 01-a-019) (superseded by 03-a-019)
Posted on October 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM by Kansas Department of Administration
|INFORMATIONAL CIRCULAR NO. 02-A-016||(Supersedes 01-a-019)|
|DATE:||April 18, 2002|
|SUBJECT:||Closing of Fiscal Year 2002 and Opening of Fiscal Year 2003|
|A & R CONTACT:||Annette Witt (785)-296-8083 |
Central Accounting Services Section
|Steve Banning (785)-296-7059 |
Payroll Services Section
|Carol Sprague (785)-296-4151 |
Office of the State Treasurer
|SUMMARY:||Schedule of Accounting Events Relative to Fiscal Year Closing|
This Informational Circular provides the scheduled dates for closing fiscal year 2002 and beginning fiscal year 2003. Additional information concerning fiscal year end closing and DA-118 List of Outstanding Obligations instructions is contained in the Division of Accounts and Reports Policy and Procedure Manual filing nos. 14,002 and 14,003. The Policy and Procedure Manual is located at http://www.da.ks.gov/ar/ppm/ppm01001.htm. Other web resources available for fiscal year end processing information can be found at http://www.da.ks.gov/ar/yearend/.
K.S.A. 75-3002 establishes the state fiscal year as commencing on the first day of July in each year and closing on the thirtieth day of June of the succeeding year. However, to allow state agencies time to process as much old year business as possible, the old year records remain open through the second Monday of July (PPM No. 14,002). For the fiscal year 2002 closing, that date has been extended to Wednesday, July 10, 2002. During this period the Statewide Accounting and Reporting System (STARS) processes old and new fiscal year business concurrently.
The workload both at your agency and the Division of Accounts and Reports is greatly increased during the fiscal year end closing period. We ask that you use the following reminders and guidelines to help facilitate the fiscal year end processing.
- Normal hours of availability of STARS is 8AM to 5PM Monday through Friday; 24 hours on holidays and Saturdays, unless a special STARS cycle is requested; Sundays from 1PM through Monday, unless otherwise noted on the STARS news screen.
- SHARP is available from 7AM to 6PM Monday through Friday and 1PM to 6PM Saturday and Sunday. The cutoff for receiving SHARP interface files is 5PM.
- SOKI3+ system is available 24 hours a day except for a maintenance period between 7PM and 8PM daily.
- FY2002 documents receive a higher processing priority than do FY2003 documents during the concurrent processing period.
- There is a two or three day period after the third Monday in July in which no daily transactions are processed.
- State agencies should review the May monthly reports and process the necessary corrections through the SOKI3+ journal voucher system before June 30.
- Transaction year 2002 and 2003 documents must be batched separately.
- Transactions characterized as emergency payments should be batched separately and sent to the attention of Jerry Serk, Division of Accounts and Reports, Central Accounting Services Section, 900 SW Jackson, Room 351-S, Topeka, Kansas.
- During the concurrent processing period, STARS batch sheets for FY2002 transaction year should have a batch date of "06/30/02", an effective date of "06/30/02" and BFY of 2002.
- During the concurrent processing period, STARS edits FY2003 transactions charged to "expenditure only" type accounts against fund level receipts (both FY2002 and FY2003). FY2002 transactions edit only against FY2002 receipts.
- The available cash in prior fiscal year "receipt and expenditure" type budget units will not be available to fund FY2003 expenditures until FY2002 is closed and balances carried forward.
- During the concurrent processing period, both FY2002 and FY2003 documents may be processed in the SOKI3+ system; FY2003 interfund vouchers require a BFY of 2003 for both the receipt and expenditure transactions and FY2002 interfund vouchers process as normal. FY2003 JV documents must use a BFY of 2003 throughout. The operator must choose the appropriate BFY when initiating a JV or receipt voucher during concurrent processing.
- Beginning July 12th through year-end closing, agencies should not release any SOKI3+ transactions with a BFY of 2002. Only transactions with a BFY of 2003 will be processed during this period.
- On July 22nd, after year-end processing is complete, all fiscal year 2003 SOKI3+ transactions, including encumbered expenditures can be processed and released for upload to STARS.
- All SOKI3+ transactions not uploaded to STARS on July 11th in the final FY2002 upload will be FY2003 business; any SOKI3+ interfund receipt transactions will need to have BFY 2003 and any SOKI3+ unencumbered interfund expenditure transactions will require an encumbrance number and appropriate transaction code changes.
The scheduled dates for closing FY2002 and beginning FY2003 are as follows:
|April 17||Letter advising agencies to prepare Real Estate Encumbrance Renewals (affected agencies only).|
|May 21||Letter requesting agencies to review outstanding encumbrances.|
|May 23||Year-end closing information at ASTRA meeting.|
|June 3||Annual review of housing, food service and other employee maintenance rates (DA-171).|
|June 3||Agencies may begin entering on-line DA-118 transactions.|
|June 14||Fiscal year 2003 valid funds tape and valid PCA tape sent to State Treasurer.|
|June 17||Preliminary fiscal year 2003 Central Chart of Accounts mailed to agencies.|
|June 17||Accounts and Reports, Payroll Services will insert a new row in the SHARP department budget tables effective dated June 9, 2002 which reflect a budget end date of June 8, 2003 and fiscal year of 2003.|
|June 17||Process payroll encumbrances for Friday, June 21 on-cycle pay date (last FY2002 on-cycle).|
|June 18||Informational Circular to all agencies regarding fiscal year rate changes in payroll deductions and contributions.|
|June 21||Review any outstanding checks and process paycheck reversals prior to June 24, 2002, which is the last off-cycle payroll charged to FY2002. Any checks issued in this cycle will be dated June 27, 2002 and charged to FY2002.|
|June 21||Liquidate payroll encumbrances for the on-cycle pay date of June 21.|
|June 24||Last payroll off-cycle to be run for FY2002 transactions and will have a paycheck date of June 27, 2002.|
|June 25||Process payroll accounting transactions created for true EFT reversals and cancelled checks and encumbrances from the June 24 off-cycle.|
|June 27||Liquidate encumbrances for the Monday, June 24 payroll off-cycle.|
|June 28||Regents establish Payroll Clearing Fund indexes in STARS for FY2003.|
|June 28||Updates to payroll position pool definitions for FY2003 must be entered into SHARP by 5:00 P.M. in order to be reflected in the charges for the on-cycle paychecks dated July 5, 2002 (first on-cycle paychecks charged to FY2003). Updates should be entered with an effective date of June 10, 2002.|
|July 1||FY2003 transactions accepted for processing; beginning of concurrent processing period for final fiscal year 2002 transactions; fiscal year 2003 appropriation transactions loaded in STARS nightly cycle.|
|July 1||SOKI3+ system allows FY2003 transactions beginning at 8:00 A.M.|
|July 2||On-line entry of STARS expenditures against BFY2003 appropriated and limited funds; FY2003 appropriation transactions process in the July 1st STARS nightly batch cycle.|
|July 2||Process payroll encumbrances for the Friday, July 5 on-cycle paycheck date and encumbrances from the July 1 off-cycle; process accounting transactions created for true EFT reversals and cancelled checks from the July 1 off-cycle.|
|July 3||Final FY2002 credit card receipts and credit card clearing fund fees and charges processed by the State Treasurer.|
|July 5||Liquidate payroll encumbrances for the July 5 on-cycle paycheck date and July 1 off-cycle; process accounting transactions created for true EFT reversals and cancelled checks and encumbrances from the July 3 off-cycle.|
|July 8||DA-35 electronic files (prior period funding Payroll adjustments) must be received by 5:00 P.M.|
|July 9||Liquidate encumbrances for the July 3 payroll off-cycle (checks dated July 9).|
|July 10||State Treasurer accepts final fiscal year 2002 receipt vouchers from agencies until 3:00 P.M.|
|July 10||SOKI3+ receipt documents for FY 2002 must be entered by 3:00 P.M for final fiscal year 2002 receipt transactions.|
|July 10||Electronic transmission of FY2002 expenditure and encumbrance datasets to BDAS must occur by noon. Supporting batched documents must be received in the Central Accounting Services Section by 5:00 P.M.|
|July 10||Central Accounting Services Section accepts final expenditure and encumbrance batches (including DA-118 batches submitted for data entry) from agencies for FY2002 until 5:00 P.M. No firm encumbrances are allowed for State General Fund.|
|July 10||Agencies entering STARS payment vouchers on-line (not dataset) must have final documents for fiscal year 2002 entered by 5:00 P.M.|
|July 10||SOKI3+ journal voucher and interfund voucher documents for FY 2002 must be entered by 5:00 P.M.|
|July 11||Agencies entering payment vouchers on-line (not dataset) in STARS with a June effective date must have paper documents into the Central Accounting Services Section by 12:00 noon to avoid transactions being deleted from STARS. Vouchers processed under delegated audit authority should be released by the agency by 12:00 noon.|
|July 11||SOKI3+ closed to agency users. (JV, IFV and Order Modules)|
|July 11||SOKI3+ open for FY2003 receipts.|
|July 11||Final FY 2002 SOKI3+ upload to STARS.|
|July 12||SOKI3+ open for all FY2003 transactions.|
|July 15||Agencies may enter DA-118's on-line (not dataset) until 5:00 P.M. No firm encumbrances are allowed for State General Fund.|
|July 16||Agencies entering DA-118's on-line (not dataset) must have paper documents delivered to the Central Accounting Services Section by 12:00 noon to avoid transactions being deleted from STARS.|
|July 17||Final processing of June 2002 transactions expected; end of the concurrent processing period (STARS will be open to Accounts and Reports Staff only).|
|July 18||Begin processing for monthly and annual reports and statements, processing of closing and opening entries and preparation of opening and closing transaction reports.|
|July 22||June 2002 monthly STARS reports expected to be mailed to agencies.|
|July 22||Resume processing of July 2002 (FY2003) transactions.|
|July 26||FY2002 closing reports and FY2003 opening reports expected to be mailed to agencies.|
|August 5||DA-404, DA-406 and DA-410 STARS Budget Worksheets.|
|September 30||Updates to the Master List of Real Property and Form DA-87, Annual Capital Asset Reporting, due in Accounts and Reports.|