This position oversees the Kansas Human Rights Commission’s (KHRC) internal administrative functions to include, but not limited to, daily fiscal activities, all aspects of human resources, supervising and coordinating administrative staff, some IT functions, and other areas as needed.
Job Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Provides a high level of service to internal and external customer in all job aspects. Maintains a positive attitude and represents the agency well in all interactions. Maintains harmonious relations.
This position acts as the agency’s daily fiscal administrator by ensuring that all bills are paid correctly and promptly. Coordinates with the SMART service center or makes entries in SMART. Pays interfund vouchers, including using KIRMS database. Makes all purchases in accordance with State of Kansas rules. Makes travel arrangements and prepares travel vouchers pursuant to State of Kansas rules. Makes deposits. Encumbers funds. Researches and resolves any discrepancies or errors. Other fiscal duties as assigned.
Acts as the agency’s personnel officer for the main office and two outlying offices. Responsible for all payroll, including time and leave, processing in a timely and accurate manner. Coordinates evaluations, processes FMLA requests, performs some KPERS entries, answers questions about group health insurance and provides open enrollment information. Answers personnel questions pursuant to agency policies or State regulations. Assists with the hiring process. Provides orientation for new employees. Answers questions about FLSA. Other HR duties as assigned.
Supervises two administrative support staff, including staff located outside the Topeka office. Serves as back up receptionist when other receptionists are not available. Directs callers to the appropriate staff and answers questions from the public.
Periodically performs docketing of KHRC complaints by accurately and efficiently entering information into a database or makes other data entry as directed. Performs merges into various letters and forms using a database and Microsoft Word. Uses Microsoft Office to send cases to Commissioners. May complete monthly reports or perform other duties as assigned to process or close cases.
Assists with the agency’s annual employment law seminar by assisting with registrations, billing registrants, following up on unpaid registrations, overseeing the registration desk at the seminar, and other duties as assigned. Also assists with any other special events.
Assists with Commission Board meetings. Provides computer and printer troubleshooting. Acts a contact for IT small agency support. Coordinates agency’s files, including transfer to archives or destruction, per records retention schedules. Uses Skype to communicate with outlying office staff. Submits Topeka office maintenance requests. Performs other duties as requested.
If you would like a complete Position Description, click here.
• Four years of experience in general office, clerical or administrative support work. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
• Prefer one year of supervisory experience.
• Prefer experience with all State of Kansas fiscal and human resource software, and administrative websites (SMART, KIRMS, SHARP, health insurance, KPERS, etc.)
• Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to complete accurate, error-free work. Ability to recognize and fix errors without direction.
• Ability to develop positive strategies to meet goals and objectives.
• Ability to work well with others, including resolving matters in a positive and harmonious manner.
• Ability to meet deadlines and multi-tasking with multiple work duties.
• Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, e-mail, and database software, specifically Microsoft Office Word, Outlook, Excel and Access. Ability to learn data entry in agency specific databases.
Pay Rate: $16.56/ hr. This is a full-time unclassified position with benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
The application process has 2 STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form. (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number or State of Kansas Employee ID.)
STEP 2: Send hard copies or e-mail these required documents to Stacie Creech, Statewide Recruiting Coordinator, Department of Administration, 900 S.W. Jackson, Suite 401-N, Topeka, Kansas 66612. Include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line.
• State of Kansas Application Form (Send a hard copy or e-mail to Stacie Creech as the KHRC does not accept the on-line applications.)
• Letter of Interest
• Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website . A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Name: Stacie Creech Phone: (785) 368-6496
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Human Rights Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Visit the KHRC at www.khrc.net