The Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) is seeking an Environmental Compliance Regulatory Specialist (ECRS) to handle all well site inspections for the Conservation Division, District 1 office (Dodge City, KS). Reporting to the Conservation District 1 Supervisor and working with the Conservation Division, this is a full-time, unclassified, non-exempt position, with competitive benefits and starting salary of $40,000-$45,000 annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The ECRS will primarily be responsible for administering compliance and inspections in Pratt and Barber counties. Candidate must live or be willing to relocate to the assisgned area.
The Kansas Corporation Commission is a multi-faceted agency responsible for regulating public utilities including electric, natural gas, telecommunication and water companies as well as motor carriers, oil and gas pipelines and oil and gas natural production. The Commission’s headquarters is in Topeka with the central Conservation office in Wichita and four Conservation district offices located in Chanute, Dodge City, Hays and Wichita.
Duties of the Position
- Witness D & A and cased hole pluggings as assigned. Inspects drill pits and workover pits in sensitive groundwater areas. Make recommendations to Central Staff for best fluid management for each pit.
- Inspects leases to determine if operators are in compliance with KCC rules and regulations.
- Writes field reports, giving accurate lease locations and fully describes any potential regulatory violations. Witnesses mechanical integrity tests on injection wells.
- Investigates complaints involving oil wells, oil leases, and saltwater disposal systems and contamination of fresh water by oil field operations.
- Investigates reports of crude oil and salt water spills.
- Writes technical reports, correspondence, and prepares related illustrative materials, which serve as the legal basis for validating compliance or non-compliance; advises operators and managers of the nature of violations and needed improvements.
- Develops and evaluates proposals in order to ensure necessary corrective action and makes recommendations concerning need to initiate legal enforcement actions.
- Maintains a complete log of field activities. Performs other related duties as required by district supervisor.
Minimum requirement is HS Diploma. Bachelor degree preferred.
Four years of field experience in oil or gas production or three years of technical experience in testing oil or gas wells. College course work in hydrology, geology, petroleum engineering or a related field may be substituted for the required experience at the rate of 2 semester hours for one month of experience with a maximum substitution of one year.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to clearly, effectively, and respectfully communicate in a business environment both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with Agency personnel, business associates, industry, the general public and state and federal officials.
- Possess independent thinking and problem-solving skills and analytical thought to deal with the variety of responsibilities associated with this position including making decisions while working independently, and planning/projecting future operational needs.
- Proficiency in preparing reports and self-motivation to finish projects and assignments in a timely manner.
- Possess a general knowledge of operations management and oilfield operations and terminology, Division rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
HOW TO APPLY: The application process has 3 STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/job/why-register (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/apply and submit to the Corporation Commission
STEP 3 : E-mail these additional required documents to Sandra Rak at email@example.com . Include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line.
Tax Clearance Certificate
Three Professional References
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. Applicants are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sandra Rak
NOTE: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identify and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification documentation upon hire.
How You Will Be Evaluated: Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. Your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the minimum and any necessary special requirements. Next, your application will be evaluated and rated based on preferred competencies and criteria for the position.
What To Expect Next: After your application is evaluated and ranked, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is completed. You may call or e-mail the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Corporation Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer