Division: Civil Litigation, Sexually Violent Predator (SVP) Unit
Position Type: Unclassified (At-Will), Full-Time, Nonexempt, Benefits-Eligible
Location: Topeka, Kansas (Shawnee County)
Compensation: $16.83 - $20.19 hourly DOE
The Office of the Kansas Attorney General (OAG) is accepting applications to fill a Legal Assistant position in our Civil Litigation Division, Sexually Violent Predator (SVP) Unit to perform paraprofessional legal and clerical work. The OAG is an organization that values individuals who strive to work in a team environment, where a positive attitude and willingness to assist others is critical. We seek to hire individuals who exemplify the highest standards of integrity, efficiency and professionalism. Successful candidates must be well-organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, punctual and prompt.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in drafting briefs, pleadings, correspondence, reports and other documents in connection with legal proceedings.
- Provide litigation support to attorneys. This includes distributing discovery; coordinating sequence of witnesses; preparing trial notebooks (exhibit list, etc.); and obtaining prepared demonstrative exhibits.
- Prepare and maintain case files in both paper and digital form; compiles trial and case information.
- Maintain and update electronic document management system (LawBase); scan documents for electronic storage.
- Organize and coordinate exhibits; prepare discovery and ensures that discovery deadlines are met.
- Arrange travel and prepare travel vouchers for attorneys and/or witnesses
- Assist other administrative support staff and attorneys as needed.
- Provide occasional back-up reception duties for the Office’s main front desk.
- Assist with various administrative functions to include: processing incoming and outgoing mail; answering incoming telephone calls; responding to emails in a timely manner; filing documents; office supply maintenance; photocopying reports; proofreading; maintaining attorney calendars; and delivering and/or filing documents.
Additional duties may be added at any time. This announcement does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed. You would be expected to follow other job-related instructions and perform other job-related duties as requested.
- Legal Studies or Paralegal degree or certificate from an accredited school. Substantial relevant work experience may be substituted for education, as deemed by the Attorney General to be sufficient qualification to perform the assigned work.
- Two (2) years of experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, or legal secretary in a legal office setting.
- Experience working in a customer service oriented environment
- Exceptional organizational skills are required.
- Four (4) or more years of experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, or legal secretary in a legal office setting
- Paralegal certification through the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA)
- Experience working with an electronic document management/case management system
- Electronic discovery experience
- Experience with electronic filing
Travel: You may need to travel to locations to competently and diligently discharge the assigned duties. Limited in-state travel may be required. A valid driver's license is required when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
How to Apply: The application process has 3 required steps:
- Register by completing the online Personal Data Form. NOTE: Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.
- Complete the State of Kansas Application Form and submit to Attorney General.
- E-mail the following additional required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line. Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date indicated.
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate: Each applicant is required to obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account follows all primary Kansas Tax Laws. It expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact (785)296-3199.
Other Requirements: As a condition of employment, we require a pre-employment screening process to include a criminal history records check and reference check of past and present employers. The screening process will be waived for current OAG personnel who have previously completed the screening requirements.
Recruiter Contact: Deann Tiede Phone: 785-296-3716; Email: email@example.com
Individuals with disabilities are urged to contact the Recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Office of the Kansas Attorney General is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity