The Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC) is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Administrative Specialist.This position supports members of the Kansas Prisoner Review Board (PRB).
Salary: $29,744.00 - $39,852.80 depending on demonstrated skills and experience. Unclassified (At-Will), Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Benefits Eligible.
The person in this position is responsible for the organization, scheduling and preparation of Parole and Violator hearings in addition to dissemination of all decisions issued by the Kansas Prisoner Review Board to department personnel and district/county attorney offices as set out in statute.This position, as lead assistant for the unit, is the first opportunity callers have to discuss their questions or concerns with the Board.This position will also be the lead worker and will assist in training and supervision of the PRB Administrative Assistant position.
Duties include preparing violator files for hearings. Coordinates with Institutional Parole Officers (IPO's) to verify which offenders require hearings.Coordinates with support staff, parole officers, and/or parole supervisors in each parole region to ensure that violation packets are available and accurate for each file. Enters PRB decisions in appropriate computer systems.Creates, verifies, finalizes and closes dockets for all hearings performed by the PRB.Maintains Public Comment Session schedule and offender hearing list on the PRB Internet and Intranet sites.Prepares special hearing notifications for referral to the appropriate correctional facility and to pubic officials, if applicable.
Reviews all incoming applications for executive clemency for completeness.
Two years of experience in general office, clerical and administrative support work.Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
Preferred Skills and/or Qualifications:
• High School graduate or equivalent
• Basic knowledge of the Kansas criminal justice system and the statutes and regulations governing the Kansas Prisoner Review Board (PRB).
• Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
• Sound working knowledge maintaining electronic databases.
• Experience interacting with both internal and external customers in a professional manner, to include use of professional phone and email etiquette rules.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to prioritize and organize work tasks and follow oral/written instructions. As well as the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Independent experience in office support/clerical work to include, but not be limited to basic typing skills and operating basic office equipment such as a personal computer, fax machine and copier.
How to Apply:
1. Register by completing the online Personal Data Form at https://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/register-personal-data NOTE: Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number
2. Complete the State of Kansas Application https://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/online-application
3. Submit to: Corrections, Department of (Central Office) Do not submit to any other KDOC facility.
4. Email additional required documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Tax Clearance, and college transcripts if applicable to KDOC_CO_Applicant@ks.gov include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line.
5. KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact (785) 296-3199.
NOTE: Submission of a résumé or an application alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described previously. Please carefully review the complete job announcement and the "How to Apply" instructions. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials will result in not being considered for employment
Recruiter and Agency Contact Information:
Administrative Specialist-Statewide Recruitment Coordinator
Phone: (785) 296-0041
What to Expect Next: Once your complete application package is received, (including all required documents) we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your ranking. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is complete. You may call or email the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application
Find out more about us at our