This is supervisory and administrative work as the leader of a unit team at a state correctional institution.
Examples of job responsibilities:
- Work involves supervising and directing a unit staff consisting of corrections counselors and corrections officers. An incumbent is responsible for the total operation of the living unit in assigning, scheduling, and reviewing the work of subordinate personnel and for planning, recommending, implementing, and monitoring treatment programs.
- This position is responsible for supervising the effective delivery of services to inmates in the assigned housing unit(s) and to ensure the overall unit is maintained in a safe, secure, and humane manner.
- The Unit Team Manager is expected to ensure that Internal Management Policy and Procedure, Facility General Orders, Kansas Administrative Regulations, Kansas Statutes Annotated, Custody Classification Manual, and other administrative rules and regulations are followed in the delivery of services.
- The unit team work involves evaluating risk factors in order to make decisions regarding facility/cell or work assignments, referrals to services, and the level/type of supervision, and to develop comprehensive release plans for inmates who are within one year of release.
- The duties of this position require ongoing proactive communications and interaction with staff, community partners, offenders and offender families.
- Unclassified - Appointments to unclassified positions can be made by the appointing authority (Warden), with approval of the Governor. Unclassified appointments are at-will and are not eligible for longevity bonuses.
- Full time
- Benefits eligible
Annual Salary Range:
$41,870.40 - $56,118.40
Bachelor’s Degree with major coursework in criminal justice, the social sciences or the behavioral sciences, and two years of experience working with offenders in corrections, parole, or law enforcement (detention). Additional experience may be substituted for the required education as determined relevant by the agency (see below).
Substitution determined relevant by agency:
- Completion of 60 semester hours of coursework from an accredited college or university, including 12 of hours in corrections, criminal justice, the social sciences, or the behavioral sciences, and five years of experience in the field of corrections;
Completion of a four-year degree in corrections, criminal justice, the social sciences, or the behavioral sciences, and three years of experience in the field of corrections.
Preferred Qualifications (may be used to screen applicants):
Two years of experience as a Corrections Counselor or in Re-Entry case management, and one year of supervisory experience in the field of corrections / detention.
- Submit a State of Kansas employment application (www.jobs.ks.gov)
- Obtain a Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate (see below)
- Academic transcripts required
- The recruiter will not obtain copies from your personnel or previous interview files. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide the documents with each application.
Your application will be considered incomplete and you will be ineligible for further consideration if you fail to submit (within the application deadline) any of the required materials noted above.
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate:
A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. In accordance with Executive Order 2004-03, each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a State Tax Clearance Certificate by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html . Applicants are responsible for submitting their certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03.
All applicants - including current employees - who fail to submit a Tax Clearance Certificate will not be considered. You must access the Kansas Department of Revenue's website twice - once to request the Certificate and once to retrieve it. A Transaction ID# is NOT a Tax Clearance.
Evaluation and Selection Process
Applications and supporting documentation will be reviewed for further consideration and possible interviews. Once an appointment is made, individuals submitting applications will be notified. You may contact the facility if you have questions regarding the unclassified appointment process.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sheila Edwards
El Dorado Correctional Facility
1737 SE Highway 54, P.O. Box 311
El Dorado, KS 67042
Veterans Preference Eligible (VPE):
Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran" under K.S.A. 73-2
Find out more about us at our