Please note: This is an Agency only posting.
This is a Training Lieutenant position. However, although it is assigned to Staff Development, it may be subject to rotation to any post and/or shift based on facility needs.
Duties involve supervision of instructors assigned to train to ensure lesson plans, methodology, training aids, content, and schedules are appropriate to the module being instructed.
Coordinate, instruct and supervise or evaluate employee orientation, basic, and annual training classes relating to policy, first aid and CPR, firearms, self-defense, use of chemical agents, fire safety, key control, and other security topics in order to facilitate effective job performance and required certifications. Maintain instructor certifications in first aid, CPR, firearms, self-defense, and chemical agents.
Write lesson plans for instruction in basic and annual training classes by determining instructional and performance objectives, proper training aids, equipment, materials and methodology in order to provide structure, proper sequence and appropriate content for the instructor of a given training module. Participate in COI recruiting and hiring processes.
Incumbents are certified Corrections Officers and exercise delegated statutory powers.
Must meet all minimum qualifications and necessary special requirements for COIA; be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment; have three (3) years of relevant experience in the field of corrections or in the detention of convicted offenders including at least one year of supervisory experience; and have successfully completed the Corrections Officer Training Program (COTP).
Preferred Qualifications (may be used to screen applicants):
Preferred Qualifications are in addition to the Minimum Qualifications and either or both may be applied.
- One year supervisory experience noted in the minimum qualifications shall be in the correctional or detention fields.
- Four (4) years of relevant experience in the field of corrections or in the detention of convicted offenders including at least two (2) years of supervisory experience in related field.
- One year experience in content development and delivery of training materials and presentation;
- Ability to present ideas and theories in a clear, concise manner, both orally and in writing;
- Group facilitation experience;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of adult learning;
- Experience with PowerPoint and other audio-visual training aids;
- Experience which reflects the ability to exercise initiative, independent judgment, and discretion in the performance of duties.
- Ability to explain and apply inmate rules, regulations, and Departmental and Institutional policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, understand and apply oral and written instructions.
- Complete the State of Kansas application form at jobs.ks.gov and either submit online to El Dorado Correctional Facility or mail to the recruiter listed.
- Obtain a Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate (see below) or select “Tax Clearance Certificate” at the above website and send to recruiter.
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate:
In accordance with Executive Order 2004-03, each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a State Tax Clearance Certificate by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html. A tax clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. Applicants are responsible for submitting their certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency.
Applicants who fail to submit a Tax Clearance Certificate will not be considered. When you request the Certificate, it will issue you a Transaction ID#. The Transaction ID# is NOT a tax clearance. You will need the transaction ID# to be able to retrieve the certificate 24 hours later. You will need to return to the Department of Revenue website to do this (select View Status). Enter the Transaction ID# and your Social Security number. Click on the link and forward the Tax Clearance Certificate to the Recruiter listed below.
Recruiter Contact Information
El Dorado Correctional Facility
1737 SE US Highway 54, P.O. Box 311
El Dorado, KS 67042
Veterans Preference Eligible (VPE):
Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran" under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum qualifications and competency factors of the position. The veterans preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager. Additional VPE information can be found at http://da.ks.gov/ps/aaa/recruitment/veterans.htm
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The El Dorado Correctional Facility/Oswego Correctional Facility is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Find out more about us at our