The Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) is seeking an Applications Developer to oversee the data management of the Risk-Based Data Management System (RBDMS) system for the Conservation Division of the KCC. Reporting to the Information Technology Division and working in a consultative manner with the Conservation Division, this is a full-time, unclassified, non-exempt position, with competitive benefits and starting salary of $50,000 to $58,000 annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Applications Developer will primarily be responsible for application development and support of the RBDMS database. This position is responsible for staying current with industry trends and methodologies to support and upgrade the systems as necessary.
The KCC is a multi-faceted agency responsible for regulating public utilities including electric, natural gas, telecommunication and water companies as well as motor carriers, oil and gas pipelines and oil and gas natural production. The KCC’s headquarters is in Topeka with the central Conservation office in Wichita and four Conservation district offices located in Chanute, Dodge City, Hays and Wichita.
Duties of the Position
- Analyze Division operational needs such as technological advancements and implement process improvements. This will include, but is not limited to planning effective use of technology capabilities, making formal presentations and conducting internal training of operation systems. The employee will do advance programming and analysis for RBDMS system. This system is an oil and gas database containing current and historical records of all oil and gas activity in the state. Currently there are over 400,000 oil and gas well records in Kansas. The system also contains environmental information on many of those wells.
- Act as a Commission liaison as needed. Provide presentations to the Commission staff, state, federal and local staff, industry and the general public as assigned by the Conservation Division Director.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the IT Supervisor and Program Specialist Supervisor.
Degree in a related Information Technology field or 3-5 years hands-on job experience.
Minimum 3-5 years project or data management experience in systems analysis or database design. Prior history of experience with programming languages, server environments and end user support preferred. Experience in coding, testing, debugging, and documenting application programs.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of system design and development principles, project management methodologies, and data management principles.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and quickly assess situations and proposal potential solutions.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
HOW TO APPLY: The application process has 3 STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/job/why-register (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/apply and submit to the Corporation Commission
STEP 3: Email these additional required documents to Sandra Rak at email@example.com. Include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line.
Tax Clearance Certificate
Three Professional References
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. Applicants are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sandra Rak
NOTE: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identify and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification documentation upon hire.
How You Will Be Evaluated: Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. Your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the minimum and any necessary special requirements. Next, your application will be evaluated and rated based on preferred competencies and criteria for the position.
What To Expect Next: After your application is evaluated and ranked, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is completed. You may call or email the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Corporation Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer