The Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) currently has a vacancy for an unclassified Litigation Counsel Attorney in the Litigation Division. This position will perform a variety of legal functions for the Litigation Division and assist in providing legal support and assistance to the Litigation Counsel Staff and Commission Staff.
Principle Responsibilities Include:
- Perform legal work as assigned in connection with dockets filed at the Commission and coordinate this work with the Utilities Division Director or the Director's designated members of the Utility Division's staff (client). Work includes evaluating issues and facilitating formulation of staff positions; coordinating preparation of testimony; preparing pleadings, motions and briefs; providing representation in hearings and pre-hearing conferences including, as necessary, by making oral arguments, examining and cross-examining witnesses.
- When necessary and appropriate, support the Commission's role in dockets, including by serving as Advisory Counsel on dockets, or as Litigation Counsel by giving notice of proceedings and/or facilitating entry of orders by the Commission by drafting, securing approval and filing.
- Represent the Commission in court or before other bodies, possibly including federal agencies or groups in which the Commission has an interest.
- Provide legal advice and assistance to the Commission and/or its representatives concerning procedures, rules, regulations and operations of Commission, including drafting or reviewing and commenting on memoranda, opinions, contracts, rules and other documents; further, by providing advice and representation on legislative issues of interest to the Commission, including by drafting testimony and appearing at hearings and meetings.
- Provide services to persons outside the Commission in satisfaction of Commission duties or goals as may be required in connection with requests for opinions regarding Commission jurisdiction or the effect of laws administered by or at the Commission, or in the course of complaints made to the Commission.
Minimum Requirements: Certificate of admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Kansas or temporary permit to practice law issued by the Supreme Court of Kansas at the time of hire.
Salary: $50,000 - $62,000
HOW TO APPLY: The application process has 3 STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/job/why-register (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/apply and submit to the Corporation Commission
STEP 3: E-mail these additional required documents to Sandra Rak at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line.
Two Relevant Writing Examples
Tax Clearance Certificate
Three Professional References
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED:
Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html
A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. Applicants are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sandra Rak
NOTE: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identify and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification documentation upon hire.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. Your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the minimum and any necessary special requirements. Next, your application will be evaluated and rated based on preferred competencies and criteria for the position.
What To Expect Next:
After your application is evaluated and ranked, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is completed. You may call or e-mail the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application.Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Corporation Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Find out more about us at our