This position assists in planning, organizing and supervising recreational activities for the offender population at the El Dorado Correctional Facility. Activities include but are not limited to basketball, softball, weight lifting, tennis, volleyball, horseshoes, ping-pong, and other table games. Required to enforce facility rules and regulations, and maintain safety and security.
The work schedule for this position is 11:45 AM to 7:45 PM with Sunday and Monday off. Some flexibility is needed to cover various offender activities to include overseeing the library periodically.
Base level pay is $15.75 per hour; however, this position qualifies for a 10% differential. Additionally, the assigned work hours noted above qualify for 50¢ shift differential pay, bringing the realized pay to $17.33 per hour.
Four years of experience in recreation, athletics, music or art.
Sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college may be substituted for two years of the required four years of experience. Education must be relevant to the position/field.
Preferred Skills/Qualifications (may be used to screen applicants):
- Experience working with adult offenders;
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of music art, horticultural, athletic or recreational habilitative, rehabilitative or socialization activities;
- Ability to direct and instruct groups and individuals participating in structured activities;
- Ability to recognize and report the behaviors in individuals that impede program progress or threaten security;
- Ability to supervise and control adult offenders individually and in groups.
- Unclassified - Appointments to unclassified positions can be made by the appointing authority (Warden), with approval of the Governor. Unclassified appointments are at-will and are not eligible for longevity bonuses.
- Full time
- Benefits eligible
- If you have not previously applied for a State of Kansas position and been assigned an Applicant ID Number, go to www.jobs.ks.gov and select “Register Personal Data”. (Current employees use Employee ID#);
- Obtain a Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate (see below). Send/e-mail Certificate to Recruiter listed;
- Complete the State of Kansas application form at www.jobs.ks.gov and submit. Under "Agency", select "Corrections, Dept of (El Dorado Correctional Facility)" from drop-down box.
- If using education to meet the Minimum Requirements, you must provide transcripts to the recruiter listed by the closing date.
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate:
In accordance with Executive Order 2004-03, each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a State Tax Clearance Certificate by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html. A tax clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. Applicants are responsible for submitting their certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency.
Applicants who fail to submit a Tax Clearance Certificate will not be considered. When you request the Certificate, it will issue you a Transaction ID#. The Transaction ID# is NOT a tax clearance. You will need the transaction ID# to be able to retrieve the certificate 24 hours later. You will need to return to the Department of Revenue website to do this (select View Status). Enter the Transaction ID# and your Social Security number. Click on the link and forward the Tax Clearance Certificate to the Recruiter listed below.
Recruiter Contact Information
El Dorado Correctional Facility
1737 SE Highway 54, P.O. Box 311
El Dorado, KS 67042
Veterans Preference Eligible (VPE):
Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran" under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum qualifications and competency factors of the position. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager. Additional VPE information can be found at http://da.ks.gov/ps/aaa/recruitment/veterans.htm
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The El Dorado Correctional Facility is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Find out more about us at our