This position is responsible for work and operations within the Energy Center of the El Dorado Correctional Facility.
This is an unclassified position with a base hourly rate is $15.03. The position is eligible for a 30¢ per hour building trades differential, bringing the hour pay to $15.33 per hour.
Primary Duties Include:
- Starting up, putting on line, and reviewing the operations of the boilers, chillers and the emergency diesel generators according to manufacturers’ manuals and specifications.
- Maintains visual inspection of each boiler, chiller, and emergency generator on a continuing basis to assure that adequate supply of steam, hot water, and chilled water is provided to the EDCF complex at the correct temperatures.
- Checks temperature and pressure gauges by visual observation, logging air pressure and temperature readings in the daily journal for documentation of operating conditions for comparison analysis and future record as required by facility rules and regulations.
- Maintains the switchgear room and standby power consisting of two generators. Inspect engines weekly. Bring power on-line weekly to ensure proper functioning.
- Conducts inventory of parts and materials and orders appropriately to ensure sufficient quantity is on hand for normal operations.
- Supervises inmates performing custodial duties and safety of equipment they are working around.
To see a complete position description, contact the Recruiter listed below.
- Unclassified - Appointments to unclassified positions can be made by the appointing authority (Warden), with approval of the Governor. Unclassified appointments are at-will and are not eligible for longevity bonuses.
- Full time
- Benefits eligible
Posting Type: External
- Satisfactory background check;
- Take and pass a drug test;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to perform essential functions of the job;
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from sketches, blueprints, and specifications and to evaluate, analyze, and resolve construction and mechanical problems.
- Knowledge of standard practices, methods, tools, and equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions.
- Knowledge of diagnostic procedures, and solutions.
- Ability to read and comprehend operating manuals and wiring diagrams.
Five years of experience in the mechanical or building trades. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
Agency education substitution allowed: Completion of an accredited, relevant educational program and three (3) years of experience in the mechanical or building trades.
•Two (2) years of experience working specifically in with boilers, chillers, and emergency generators.
How To Apply:
- If you have not previously applied for a State of Kansas position and been assigned an Applicant ID Number, go to www.jobs.ks.gov and complete "Personal Data". (Current employees use Employee ID# for Applicant ID#);
- Obtain a Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate (see below) and e-mail or fax to the recruiter listed;
- Submit an electronic State of Kansas Application at www.jobs.ks.gov. Under "Agency", select "Corrections, Dept of (El Dorado Correctional Facility)" from the drop-down box.
- Send any additional application materials to Sheila.Edwards@ks.gov or fax to 316-322-2054.
- If using education to meet the Minimum Requirements, you must provide transcripts to the recruiter listed by the closing date.
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate:
Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a State Tax Clearance Certificate by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website at www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. Applicants are responsible for submitting their certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03.
Applicants who fail to submit a Tax Clearance Certificate will not be considered. When you request the clearance, it will issue you a Transaction ID#. The Transaction ID# is NOT a tax clearance. You will need the Transaction ID# to be able to retrieve the Certificate 24 hours later. You must then e-mail (or fax) the Tax Clearance Certificate to the recruiter listed below.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sheila Edwards
El Dorado Correctional Facility
1737 SE US Highway 54
El Dorado, KS 67042
Applications will be evaluated to ensure minimum qualifications are met; preferred skills may be applied. Applicants selected to interview will be evaluated by an interview panel using primarily performance/ behavior based interview questions. The interview panel will make recommendations to the Warden for final approval. A second interview may be conducted. Final applicant(s) are subject to an employment background check and criminal history investigation; must pass a drug screen, a physical, and a TB test, unless promoting transferring, or demoting from another safety sensitive position within the same agency.
Veterans Preference Eligible (VPE):
Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran" under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans' preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager. Click here for additional VPE information.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The El Dorado Correctional Facility is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Find out more about us at our