State Librarian of Kansas
The State of Kansas seeks an individual with proven leadership qualities to direct the State Library of Kansas.
The State Library was created in 1861, continuing the responsibilities of the Kansas Territorial Library. The State Librarian, who is appointed by the Governor, is the head of the agency. The duties of the State Librarian include administration of the following divisions: Reference, Statewide Services, and Talking Books Service. The State Librarian administers state and federal library funding, the state publications depository program, and the Kansas Center for the Book. The Talking Book Library for blind or disabled people is in Emporia. All other programs of the State Library are located in the State Capitol.
The State Library has a staff of 30 full time employees and an annual budget of $5.7 million. The sections of law which govern the State Library of Kansas can be found in KSA 75-2534 et seq.
- Graduate degree in library science
- Not less than 5 years actual experience in library administration
- Strong and positive experience in
- policy administration and strategic planning
- budget planning and execution
- Demonstrated history of positive and effective
- personnel management
- staff and professional development
- Demonstrated leadership in the library community
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with legislators and other elected or appointed officials
- Experience speaking effectively before groups
- Ability to manage a broad range of funding opportunities, including state and federal grant programs for libraries
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with all types of libraries and other educational services institutions
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues, practices and trends in libraries
Application Deadline: November 1, 2017
Please send a Resume, State of Kansas Employment Application, and Tax Clearance Certificate to:
Megan Schmidt, Office of the Governor, 300 SW 10th St., Suite 259-S, Topeka, KS 66612. Megan.email@example.com
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the hiring agency if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The State Library of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Find out more about us at our