The Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) currently has a vacancy for an unclassified Research Economist/Rate Analyst. The KCC, located in Topeka, Kansas, is the state agency charged with the responsibility of regulating public utilities with regard to rates and services.
- Research, analyze, and submit oral or written opinions and/or recommendations for division or commission action on economic, rate design, and regulatory policy issues affecting Kansas jurisdictional utilities.
- For assigned dockets, provide economic analysis of various regulatory mechanisms, including class cost of service, rate design, program evaluation, benefit cost analysis, weather normalization, and load forecasting.
- Prepares testimony and exhibits and appears as an expert witness for rate and other cases before the Commission.Reviews and develops recommendations on rate and other tariff filings made by utilities.
- Provides assistance to Utilities Division Staff, Legal Staff, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection Staff, and others as needed.
Qualifications: Applicant must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and should be able to effectively support, in the context of adversarial administrative hearings, any testimony provided to the Commission. An understanding of the electric or telecommunication industry is preferred; however, the ability and willingness to learn the complexities of a regulated industry is required.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Economics, Business, Math or related fields is required; a graduate degree is preferred.Experience: Utility experience or experience with agency regulation is preferred.
Salary: $40,000 to $43,000 annually with benefits.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, tax clearance and State of Kansas application.
HOW TO APPLY:
The application process has 4 REQUIRED STEPS.
- STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
- STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form
- STEP 3: Submit your online application to the specific agency designated on this job announcement.
- STEP 4: Submit additional required documents to the specific recruiter designated on this job announcement.
Tax Clearance Certificate: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance Certificate expires every 90 days. Applicants are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Include your name and job requisition number on all correspondence when submitting documents to the designated recruiter.
Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Required Documents: Online State of Kansas Application Form (send to Corporation Commission) Cover Letter, Resume and Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate (send to Sandra Rak, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sandra Rak
Kansas Corporation Commission
1500 SW Arrowhead Road
Topeka, KS 66604
How You Will Be Evaluated: Once you complete and submit your application materials, your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the minimum and any necessary special requirements. Next, your application will be evaluated and rated based on preferred competencies and criteria for the position.
What To Expect Next: After your application is evaluated and ranked, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is complete. You may call or email the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Corporation Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Find out more about us at our