Purchases goods and services within established guidelines provided by the Department of Administration. Duties include the following:
- Audits purchase requests from other departments to ensure compliance with Division of Procurement Contracts; determines method of purchase within approved agency budgetary limitations, Business Administrator’s instructions, and established agency policies and procedures. Obtains competitive bids, when required. Locates sources of supply for special commodities as required.
- Evaluates bids, confers with appropriate agency personnel, and recommends award of bid, as necessary.
- Informs agency personnel concerning purchasing procedures and regulations, when necessary. Assists agency personnel in writing/preparing specifications for items desired, when competitive bids are required.
- Approve and dispatch purchase orders in Statewide Management and Accounting Reporting Tool (SMART).
- Prepares purchase requisitions in SMART and checks accuracy of funding information.
- Match packing slips to purchase orders; manage and follow up with vendors relative to the receipt of orders; and forward updated packing slips and information to the accountant.
- Contacts vendors regarding availability and product information or to solicit bids; confers with vendors concerning problems with shipments, i.e. shortages or over shipments, damaged goods, late deliveries, inferior merchandise, or other related concerns.
- Works with Storekeeper Specialist to determine quantity of stock items to be ordered and prepares purchase requisition appropriately.
- Assists Storekeeper Specialist and Business Administrator in conducting year-end inventory of all stock items.
- Enters purchasing information on agency’s inventory management program (Atrex). Information to include purchase orders; vendor address and contact information; update inventory master files to include re-order points; add new stock items; and properly identifying obsolete stock items.
- Reviews agency contractual agreements to assure compliance with Division of Procurement and Contract policies and procedures. Takes all action related to establishing, renewing, and modifying agency contractual agreements. Responsible for submittal of estimated contract requirement information to the State Division of Procurement and Contracts.
Establishes and maintains files. Attend meetings as required. Submits required reports in accordance with established procedures. Receives and assists visitors.
Directly supervises the work of one Storekeeper Specialist.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment;
- Possess a High School Diploma or G.E.D.;
- You will be subject to a background/suitability investigation/determination; Free of felony convictions or adjudication, whether or not expunged,
- Free of conviction or adjudication by a court of law or court-martial, of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (whether or not the sentence was imposed);
- Free of conviction as an adult of Driving Under the Influence (or comparable law regarding driving while intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance) in the past 24 months, as an adult or juvenile;
- Free of conviction or adjudication of a misdemeanor involving drug use or possession in the past 60 months;
- Free of any criminal charges, indictments or outstanding warrants pending;
- Take and pass a drug test approved by the Office of Personnel Services prior to being appointed to this position unless the incumbent is moving from one safety-sensitive position to another safety-sensitive position within the same agency performing substantially similar duties;
- Must take and pass a post-offer work screen;
- Possess a valid Kansas driver’s license.
One year of experience in procuring commodities and services which includes preparing order specifications, estimates, bids, contracts and awarding contracts. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
Preferred Skills and/or Qualifications:
Knowledge of purchasing policies and procedures for the State of Kansas. Knowledge of basic business principles (required at entry), modern office methods, equipment and practices. Knowledge of state contracting laws, regulations and procedures.
Ability to gather information regarding the type and specifics of merchandise needed by the agency (required at entry). Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, departmental officials and the public (required at entry). Ability to present detailed reports of finding and recommendations, both verbally and in writing.
To be successful, the expectation is that a candidate will be able to competently perform the routine tasks of the position with limited supervision by the end of the probation period.
Salary: $34,444.80 - $46,092.80 DOQ
HOW TO APPLY: The application process has 4 REQUIRED STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form: http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/register-personal-data (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/apply
STEP 3: Submit your online application to the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex.
STEP 4: Submit additional required documents to Tracy Gamino at the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex.
Include your name and job requisition number on all correspondence when submitting documents to Tracy. Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Required Documents: Online State of Kansas Application form Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex Cover letter, resume, academic transcripts, Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate. The Child Abuse Registry Form does not require the processing fee; do not send any payment with the form. The entire applicant paperwork packet is to be turned in to Tracy Gamino.
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. Applicants are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Tracy Gamino
Kansas Juvenile Corrections Complex
1430 NW 25th St.
Topeka, KS 66618
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Once you complete and submit your application materials, your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the minimum and any necessary special requirements. Next, your application will be evaluated and rated based on preferred competencies and criteria for the position.
What To Expect Next:
After your application is evaluated and ranked, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is complete. You may call or email the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application.
The Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Find out more about us at our