Open Until Filled
Position Type: Unclassified (At-Will), Full-Time, Nonexempt, Benefits-Eligible
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Salary: Starting salary: $36,660.00 (total annual compensation); pay typically begins at $40,320.80
This Facilities Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for HVAC maintenance, installation, and repair at the Topeka Correctional Facility.
Responsibilities include supervising and evaluating a work crew of inmates in making routine maintenance and repairs of buildings and equipment on Topeka Correctional Facility grounds. Making work assignments, reviewing work and providing appropriate instruction and training in Heating and Air Conditioning so that completed work meets professional standards.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position
- You must meet the minimum requirements for the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor classification (See “Facilities Maintenance Supervisor” classification)
- You must submit your complete application and all supporting documents by the closing date of the announcement (See “How to Apply” section)
- You will be subject to a background/suitability investigation/determination
- If not currently employed by the Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC) you will be required to pass a drug screen and a TB screening.
- If not currently a Facilities Maintenance Supervisor with the KDOC you will be required to complete a physical examination.
Minimum Requirements Required:
Must meet all minimum qualifications and necessary special requirements for Facilities Maintenance Supervisor.
Five years of experience in the Heating and Air Conditioning trades. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency. This position requires at the time of appointment the selected candidate must take and pass a drug screening test approved by the Division of Personnel Services unless promoting, transferring, or demoting from another designated position within the same agency; possess a valid driver’s license; and possess an EPA approved CFC and general refrigerant reclamation certification.
A full position description and required essential physical functions for this classification can be obtained by contacting the recruiter listed below.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Facilities Maintenance Supervisor candidates are evaluated and rated against factors which may include experience, education, training courses, performance reviews, and interview scores.
How to Apply:
The application process has 4 REQUIRED STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form at http://da.ks.gov/ps/aaa/recruitment/jobsteps.htm
(Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form at http://da.ks.gov/ps/aaa/recruitment/intro.htm
STEP 3: Submit your online application to the specific agency designated on this job announcement.
STEP 4: Submit additional required documents to the specific recruiter designated on this job announcement.
A Tax Clearance Certificate is required for all applicants. Obtain your certificate by following the instructions at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html
Include your name and job requisition number #186880 on all correspondence when submitting documents to the designated recruiter.
NOTE: Submission of an application alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described previously. Please carefully review the complete job announcement and the "How to Apply" instructions. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials will result in you not being considered for employment.
- State of Kansas application completed on line, mailed, or faxed
- Cover letter and resume
- Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate
- List of college courses, with credit hours, major(s), and grade point average or class ranking. (Prior to appointment, an official college transcript will be required.)
- Veterans Preference documentation (DD-214 or equivalent as appropriate).
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Michelle Phipps
Topeka Correctional Facility
815 SE Rice Road
Topeka, KS 66607
To apply go to jobs.ks.gov. Applications and supporting documents may be submitted to the Topeka Correctional Facility.
What to Expect Next:
Once your complete application package (including all required documents) is received, we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your ranking. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. Once that review is completed you will be contacted for an interview or notified that you were not selected for an interview.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:
State agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Veterans Preference’ Eligible (VPE):
Formal military personnel that have been verified as “veteran” under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum requirements of the class. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled as determine by the hiring manager as being the best qualified.
How to Apply for Veteran's Preference
Applicants claiming veterans' preference for the first time must complete:
- The Veteran Preference field on the Personal Information Registration form, and
- Submit a complete, legible copy of their discharge document (DD 214), showing enlisted and discharge dates, type of discharge, medals received, etc.
Please mail the copy of your DD 214, to:
Kansas Department of Administration,
Division of Personnel Services,
900 SW Jackson, Room 401-N
Landon State Office Building
Topeka, Kansas 66612
or Fax to (785) 291-3715
Find out more about us at our