Primary responsibilities include:
- Supervise; maintain discipline and control of residents in their living quarters, at meals, in classrooms, at work sites, activities and program areas, bathing areas; while they are being escorted throughout the facility and off grounds as necessary.
- Closely monitor residents segregated for punitive, protective and administrative purposes. Remain alert and attentive at all times.
- Counsel with residents to ensure compliance with the Behavior Management System and assist with their needs. Record all incidents reports in the admissions, classification and evaluation modules and complete required documentation prior to leaving post.
- Make timely referrals to professional counseling staff. Maintain proper relations with the residents by remaining firm, fair, and consistent.
- Supervise movement of residents by alert observation to maintain a secure and controlled environment. All resident movement throughout the facility and off grounds is achieved by officer escort procedures.
- Conduct resident counts before, during and after escort to maintain security. Ensure residents know, understand and comply with the rules and regulations and enforce consequences for rule violations.
- Monitor deviations in resident conduct and behavior to prevent disturbances or escapes. Report incidents or behaviors that deviate from the resident’s general profile or that could cause an immediate problem. Maintain contact with other on-duty officers to facilitate on-going accountability of residents.
Graduation from High School or GED, valid driver’s license.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Candidates must have reached their 21st birthday at the time of appointment; be free of felony conviction; free of any felony or misdemeanor domestic violence crime; have had no DUI convictions within the last 24 months; successful completion of a physical agility test and written assessment administered by the facility; confirmation that candidate is not on the Child Abuse Registry; must complete TB screening process; and take and pass a drug test approved by the Office of Personnel Services prior to being appointed to this position unelss the incumbent is moving from one safety-sensitive position to another safety-sensitive position within the same agency performing substantially similar duties.
Special Skills or Knowledge
Ability to deal effectively with individuals under restraint. Knowledge of procedures and practices of supervising juvenile offenders confined to a juvenile correctional facility. Ability to stand for long periods of time, responds quickly to emergencies, and use force to subdue violent juvenile offenders.
To be successful, the expectation is that a candidate will be able to competently perform the routine tasks of the position with limited supervision by the end of the probation period.
HOW TO APPLY: The application process has 4 REQUIRED STEPS.
STEP 1: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/register-personal-data (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
STEP 2: Complete the official State of Kansas application form at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/sec-home/state-employment/apply
STEP 3: Submit your online application to the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex.
STEP 4: Submit additional required documents to Tracy Gamino at the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex.
Include your name and job requisition number on all correspondence when submitting documents to Tracy. Your application will be considered incomplete and you may be found ineligible if you fail to submit all required documentation by the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Required Documents: Online State of Kansas Application form Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex Cover letter, resume, academic transcripts, Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate. The Child Abuse Registry Form does not require the processing fee; do not send any payment with the form. The entire applicant paperwork packet is to be turned in to Tracy Gamino.
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. Applicants are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Tracy Gamino
Kansas Juvenile Corrections Complex
1430 NW 25th St.
Topeka, KS 66618
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Once you complete and submit your application materials, your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the minimum and any necessary special requirements. Next, your application will be evaluated and rated based on preferred competencies and criteria for the position.
What To Expect Next:
After your application is evaluated and ranked, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after the selection process is complete. You may call or email the recruiter contact listed to inquire about your application.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
Veterans Preference Eligible (VPE)
Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran" under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans' preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager. Click here for additional VPE information can be found at http://admin.ks.gov/services/state-employment-center/veterans
The Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Find out more about us at our